Friday 2 March 2012

How To Become a Fashion Designer (Part 2)

I posted part 1 of this a long time ago (19th November 2009 to be precise), but as I have now moved on to the next stage, I thought I'd do another post about it.
After you have done your GCSEs and got at least 4 A*-Cs, you can either progress to do A-levels, or a specific BTEC course in fashion design.
I am currently doing a BTEC Level 3 extended diploma, which is worth 3 A-levels. I'd really recommend taking this course and it teaches you all the skills you need to be a designer;pattern cutting, sewing, drawing, designing, art and design history.
If you would like to take this course, I recommend you start to save some money up before you start, because it is quite a costly course. You will need to buy your pattern cutting and sewing equipment, sketchbooks, art materials and fabrics and stuff for your final pieces, like buttons, beads, etc.
This course is also very time consuming, what with it being heavily art based. You need to really be sure that it's what you want to do, because otherwise you won't enjoy it. You will need to split your study time between several projects, and you'll need to use your study days wisely.
But, I assure you that if you're serious about fashion design, you will love this course. My class have been on several trips, including Charleston house, and Camdon, which I found interesting.
They may push you hard, but you'll be really proud of the work that you will be able to produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment